You need a lawyer. We put you first with personalized representation. Our attorneys are here to support you.

Group photo of attorneys Gary C. Angiuli, Annamarie Gulino Gentile and Stefanie Lynn DeMario

If I’m physically assaulted on the job, can I get workers’ comp?

On Behalf of | Dec 5, 2016 | Workers' Compensation |

Most people avoid physical altercations at all costs. You may even specifically steer clear of places where people tend to settle disputes through violence rather than negotiation or even verbal sparring. But what happens if you should be assaulted or attacked at your place of employment?

As unfortunate as it may be, workers are all too frequently injured due to the deliberate, aggressive acts of others. In fact, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration tells us that every year, almost 2 million employees are the victims of violence that occurs in the workplace.

It may be of cold comfort, but if you should be harmed by another person in a workplace assault, it is very likely that you will be able to receive workers’ compensation to cover your medical expenses. However, there are some caveats that you need to understand.

First, the assault has to have occurred during a time when you were doing your job. For instance, if you work at a convenience store and an angry customer attacks you because you won’t sell him beer without an ID, you could be eligible for workers’ compensation.

However, it is possible that you may not be able to get compensation if you are injured in a brawl that stemmed from a personal conflict. For example, if you and a coworker get into an argument over politics that escalates into a physical skirmish, it is quite possible that your injury will not be deemed work-related and thus you would not be entitled to having your claim paid.

But as you could guess, when it comes to altercations at work, the line between personal and work-related could easily become blurred. As such, if you wish to file a claim for an injury you suffered due to a workplace assault, you may want to solicit the representation of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. The attorney can investigate the incident and help you prove that you are entitled to medical and other related benefits that you need for your recovery.



FindLaw Network