You need a lawyer. We put you first with personalized representation. Our attorneys are here to support you.

Group photo of attorneys Gary C. Angiuli, Annamarie Gulino Gentile and Stefanie Lynn DeMario

Should I sue my employer if I was injured at work?

On Behalf of | Feb 5, 2016 | Workers' Compensation |

Lawsuits are a fairly popular option for individuals who have suffered an injury or wrongdoing due to another party’s recklessness or negligence, and with good reason. Nobody should have to pay for injuries or negative issues that they could not have avoided, and the fault should lie squarely on the person in the wrong, both legally and morally. Generally, workers’ compensation benefits mean that workers are not able to sue their employers, but there are certain exceptions to this rule.

Generally speaking, workplace accidents are covered by workers’ compensation benefits, which means that if you suffer an injury on the job due to a simple accident, your employer’s insurance company will likely offer you a settlement. Not all injuries are the result of an accident, and though it may sound strange, it is not unheard of for an employer to knowingly and intentionally harm a worker. In these instances, a lawsuit can absolutely lead to additional compensation.

It is important to remember that harm is not always physical injury. Harm can also include injury to your reputation or emotional well-being. For instance, if an employer lies about your work performance, preventing you from acquiring another job, or engages in verbal abuse, you could suffer depression or emotional issues.

If you believe that you are a victim of intentional harm on the part of your employer in New York, consider meeting with an attorney who can help you better understand your legal rights. There are some workplace injuries that workers’ compensation benefits simply do not cover, but that does not mean that you are not entitled to compensation if you are the victim of such injuries. Legal assistance can help you prove your case and allow you to recover the compensation you deserve.



FindLaw Network