You need a lawyer. We put you first with personalized representation. Our attorneys are here to support you.

Group photo of attorneys Gary C. Angiuli, Annamarie Gulino Gentile and Stefanie Lynn DeMario

Relief from black lung disease

On Behalf of | Jan 23, 2016 | Workplace Illness |

The health and wellness of American workers is of the utmost importance, which is why there are many legal provisions in place to ensure that workers who are injured or fall ill on the job are taken care of. In most instances, this comes in the form of workers’ compensation benefits offered by an employer, but there are other federal workers’ compensation programs that exist as well. One such notable program is established under the Black Lung Benefits Act.

The BLBA establishes payments and benefits for victims of what is commonly known as black lung disease, which most commonly occurs when coal miners are exposed to the harsh conditions of coalmines. The BLBA not only covers the costs of medical treatment and travel associated with treatment but also allows for dependent survivors to collect benefits if the miner has died as a result of the disease.

While it is true that there are no coal mines in New York itself, a great many of the nation’s coalmines are located in the northeast part of the country just around New York. Considering that New York has a great deal of exceptional health care providers, it is possible that you may have worked in coal mines in the surrounding areas, and either retired to New York or moved to New York for treatment if you suffer from black lung disease.

If you believe that you are suffering from black lung disease, or if you have been diagnosed with black lung disease, consider meeting with a workers’ compensation attorney who might be able to help you take advantage of your benefits. You could be entitled to monthly payments or health care coverage thanks to a federal program that you may not even have known about. Even if you do not qualify for coverage under the BLBA, you may still be able to recover compensation from your employer or former employer.



FindLaw Network