You need a lawyer. We put you first with personalized representation. Our attorneys are here to support you.

Group photo of attorneys Gary C. Angiuli, Annamarie Gulino Gentile and Stefanie Lynn DeMario

Workers’ compensation and long-term illnesses

On Behalf of | Aug 27, 2015 | Workplace Illness |

If you know anything about workers’ compensation, you probably know that it is an employer-provided insurance program designed to give benefits to individuals who are injured on the job. The goal is to ensure that workers who are injured on the job are granted financial assistance to prevent a serious injury from having too much of a negative effect on their lives.

For many people, these workers’ compensation benefits exist in the event of a sudden, unexpected injury such as dropping a large object on one’s foot, being struck in the head by a falling object or some other such accident. These types of injuries are among the most common workers’ compensation claims, but they are far from the only types of injuries. There are some issues that lead to long-term issues and illnesses, and as long as these issues result from job-related duties or functions, you can likely be compensated for them.

Repetitive motions or constant stress on the same joints or muscles can lead to health issues like carpal tunnel syndrome or even simple back pain. If you can prove that these health issues were caused by a work-related function, such as lifting heavy boxes repeatedly, you could be eligible for workers’ compensation. This is also true for repeated exposure to dangerous chemicals such as asbestos.

Long-term illnesses are not the types of injuries most commonly associated with workers’ compensation benefits, but it is important to remember that you can still receive workers’ compensation benefits as long as you can prove that an injury was directly related to or caused by your job. This does not necessarily mean that the injury must have been suffered on your job site. If you live in New York, and you believe you may have a workers’ compensation claim, consider meeting with an attorney.



FindLaw Network