You need a lawyer. We put you first with personalized representation. Our attorneys are here to support you.

Group photo of attorneys Gary C. Angiuli, Annamarie Gulino Gentile and Stefanie Lynn DeMario

What elders who do not want to leave home need to know

On Behalf of | Mar 22, 2021 | Elder Law |

Realizing you are no longer capable of going about daily life without assistance is often painful. Resistance to gaining that help by relocating into a facility is an understandable and common reaction.

After all, the prospect of leaving your home for a place filled with strangers and regulated by others’ rules is hardly a pleasing one to every soul. Luckily, if you are reluctant to give up the comforting, familiar walls of your personal abode, you do not have to. There are options and benefits you, as an elderly resident of New York, may be able to take advantage of.

There is federal aid

Medicaid offers something called the Consumer-Directed Personal Assistance Program. It helps pay for caregiver services, including those of a nurse, home health attendant or home health aide. You may choose to hire a professional or a family member like your child (excluding spouses). To qualify, you must need the care, meet eligibility requirements for New York Medicaid and fit certain financial criteria.

There is state-based aid

The Empire State has measures in place for seniors over 60 who are unable to receive Medicaid benefits, reside at home and need aid with day-to-day activities. Its Expanded In-Home Services for the Elderly Program grants participants access to respite care, adult day care and other services and allows them to employ a caregiver of their choosing. Depending on your income, you may have a co-payment.

There is veteran-based aid

If you are a former member of the armed forces, there are programs that exist specifically to help you. The Veteran Directed Care Program is one of them.

You do not have to move away from the surroundings you love. There are many options available through which you may receive aid paying for in-home care, including some not mentioned here.




FindLaw Network