You need a lawyer. We put you first with personalized representation. Our attorneys are here to support you.

Group photo of attorneys Gary C. Angiuli, Annamarie Gulino Gentile and Stefanie Lynn DeMario

What should I do after being injured at work?

On Behalf of | Sep 25, 2016 | Workers' Compensation |

Perhaps you have been lucky and never been injured at work. Maybe you are new to the workforce or in a profession that enjoys a low risk of injury. But no matter where you work or what you do, it is possible to suffer an on-the-job injury. And when you befall such misfortune, you will likely need to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.

But maybe you have not had the opportunity to fully inform yourself about what to expect when filing a claim. To this end, the New York State Insurance Fund advises you do the following after suffering a work-related injury.

  • Seek treatment as quickly as you can. You can use any medical provider or doctor approved by the Workers’ Compensation Board.
  • For a speedy recovery, follow your doctor’s instructions.
  • Let your employer know the details of your condition and when you will be able to get back to work. Also, inform your employer if your injury affects your ability to do your job.
  • If requested, you should attend any independent medical examinations.
  • When you are contacted by the NYSIF, give them all the pertinent details regarding your injury, prognosis, and treatment. Doing this will help the NYSIF process your claim more quickly.

Unfortunately, it is possible that your employer or the NYSIF could find some reason to dispute your claim. If this happens, you may be required by a medical provider to sign a form obligating you to pay for medical expenses should the claim be disallowed.

As you can imagine, having your claim rejected could put you in a state of extreme financial hardship. It could also endanger your health if you are unable to afford the treatment required for your recovery. As such, it can be in your best interests to contact an attorney when filing a workers’ compensation claim. Moreover, if your claim is disallowed, an attorney can act on your behalf in an effort to correct the situation and get you the benefits you need.



FindLaw Network