Walk With Confidence

Attorney Image

FAQs for Union, City and Municipal Employees

Workers’ compensation claims can be complicated, and many clients come to our firm with questions about their specific claim. In particular, union workers, city employees and municipal employees often have questions about how workers’ compensation will work in their case.

At Angiuli & Gentile, LLP, in Staten Island, we provide our clients with straightforward advice about their workers’ compensation claims. We can answer your questions, address your concerns and help you with every aspect of your claim, from the initial filing to appeal.

As a Union Member, Do I Need to Use a Union-Approved Attorney?

No, you do not need to use the attorney who is approved or recommended by your union. You can choose your own lawyer to represent you and protect your interests.

Will It Cost More Money to Have a Nonunion Attorney?

No, it will not cost you any additional money to select your own attorney for your workers’ compensation case. Under New York’s workers’ compensation laws, attorneys must offer a free initial consultation for these types of cases. Additionally, your attorney cannot charge you fees directly for your case. Instead, if your lawyer secures benefits for you, he or she must submit his or her fees to the court for approval. Once approved, the fees are deducted from your benefits and paid directly from the workers’ compensation insurance company.

I’m a City Employee. Can I Get Workers’ Comp After an Injury?

If you were injured at work, you are entitled to workers’ compensation. The system that governs that process, however, may vary depending on your specific job. Most New York City employees are covered by workers’ compensation. However, specific types of employees — such as teachers, police officers and firefighters — are covered by separate workers’ compensation systems.

Get Answers to Your Questions

These are just a few of the questions we see frequently about these types of workers’ comp claims. If you have a question specific to your case, please contact our firm. You can reach us by email or by call us at 347-201-4447. Your first consultation is free of charge.